|CAA Beechcraft D18S (AT-7C) in colors of Civil Aeronautics
Administration (CAA) about 1956. The Beechcraft with MSN 5676
started its career at Army Air Corps as a navigator trainer Beech
AT-7C with tail nr. 43-33403. In 1946 the aircraft was transferred
to the CAA as N59 and reregistered N52 in 1951. N52 remained with
the CAA until 1957 when it was sold to private market. In the early
to mid 1950s N52 was based with the Facilities Flight Check District
Office (FFCDO) in Oakland, California where it was primary used as a
flight inspection aircraft. Original by M. Shupe, S. Thomas, and A.
Flight Simulator FS2004 Textures / Civil Aircraft
Compatibility: FS2004 Aircraft
by Hans Hermann, Virtual Birds Factory.
Virtual Birds Factory presents
LOST AND FOUND: historic propliner
File: b18caa01.zip (Folder: texture.b18_caa01)
Content: Beechcraft D18S
Operator: Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA)
Livery: In colour scheme used at about 1956
Date of issue: May 2007
NOTAM: ex USAF tail nr. 43-33403
Many thanks to Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas and Andre Folkers for their lovely
model of the Beechcraft D18S and the exterior paint kit making repainting much
Milton Shupe, The D18S Project, June 2005
Web page: www.flightsimonline.com
Many thanks also to Tim Creed (convairliner240==aol.com) for his magnificent
assistance in digging up details of this aircraft's history and his sharp eyes
when beta testing the repainted textures.
Installation in FS2004:
First, make sure the Beechcraft D18S Base Package (D18SVC4.ZIP) is installed on
Find the Microsoft GamesFlight Simulator 9Aircraft Beech D18SVC folder on
your system and place the texture folder (texture.b18_caa01) there.
Use a text editor such as Notepad to add the following section to your
Beechcraft D18S aircraft.cfg file following the "fltsim" sections already
present and replace the xx by the next number in sequence:
title=Beech D18S caa01 VC
atc_id_color = 0xffffffff
atc_parking_types = RAMP
atc_parking_code = 1
ui_variation=D18S CAA N52 with VC
description=Beechcraft D18S in colors of Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA)
about 1956. The Beechcraft with MSN 5676 started its career at Army Air Corps as
a navigator trainer Beech AT-7C with tail nr. 43-33403. In 1946 the aircraft was
transferred to the CAA as N59 and reregistered N52 in 1951. N52 remained with
the CAA until 1957 when it was sold to private market. In the early to mid 1950s
N52 was based with the Facilities Flight Check District Office (FFCDO) in
Oakland, California where it was primary used as a flight inspection aircraft.
Unfortunately more whereabouts are unknown.
Original by M. Shupe, S. Thomas,
and A. Folkers, repainted by Hans Hermann, Virtual Birds Factory, May 2007
The texture files coming with this package are using the original model files
included in Milton Shupe’s Base Package (D18SVC4.ZIP) They are not compatible
with the model files offered by Dave Carroll in his modification package
DO NOT SELL, CD-BUNDLE OR REDISTRIBUTE THIS FILE SEEKING MONETARY PROFITS, THIS
FILE IS FREEWARE.
See the original readme files in Original author’s (Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas,
André Folkers) base package.
These files, distributed in no matter what shape or form, are for private use
only and therefore must not be sold either as single items or as parts of an
FS-collection. All elements put together are Freeware!
Repaints are allowed without further permission, but we prefer that they only be
uploaded to totally free. However, if you repaint the plane you must credit all
of the original authors in your text file.
Original Aircraft Authentic Data
Beechcraft Model D18S, Reg. Id. N52, c/n 5676
The Beechcraft with MSN 5676 started its career at Army Air Corps as a navigator
trainer Beech AT-7C with tail nr. 43-33403. In 1946 the aircraft was transferred
to the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA)
as N59 and reregistered N52 in 1951. N52 remained with the CAA until 1957 when
it was sold to private market. In the early to mid 1950s N52 was based with the
Facilities Flight Check District Office (FFCDO) in Oakland, California where it
was primary used as a flight inspection aircraft. Unfortunately more whereabouts
The Beechcraft Model 18, built in Wichita, Kansas, was probably the most
successful twin-engine light transport ever built. Over 7,000 examples were
assembled in a production run that began in 1937 but didn't end until 1969 when
the last Super 18 was delivered. Two 325-horsepower Wright R-760-E2 radials
powered the first Beech 18s, with later military versions delivered with Pratt &
Whitney R-985-AN-1 engines of 450-horsepower each. Though initial U.S.
acceptance was limited, the Beech 18 sold well overseas and with the advent of
World War II, the Army Air Corps bought the Beech 18 as the AT-7 navigator
trainer, the AT-11 bombardier trainer, and the C-45 transport. The Navy bought
the Beech 18 as the SNB-1 and SNB-2 trainers and the JRB series of transports.
It was later determined that over 90 percent of the AAF World War II bombardiers
and navigators were trained in some version of the Beech 18.
Between 1952 and 1961, over 2,200 Beech 18s were refurbished by Beechcraft for
the Air Force and utilized as updated C-45Hs through the 1960s. The vast
majority of Beech 18s obtained by the CAA were surplus AT-7Cs transferred in the
immediate post war period from the main government disposal agency, the
Reconstruction Finance Corporation. At least 70 AT-7Cs went to the CAA in this
fashion, with the odd C-45 and AT-11 also joining the post war CAA fleet.
Another thirteen-plus C-45Hs were later transferred from the USAF to the FAA in
the early 1960s for use in regional flight programs for aircraft inspectors.
With nearly one hundred examples of the Beech 18 used through the years, it is
difficult to sort through those used for airways flight inspection; however, the
Beech 18 and the Douglas DC-3 were the primary flight inspection aircraft used
through the immediate post war period. At least twenty Beech 18s were assigned
to flight inspection. Most were withdrawn from use by 1955 after the DC-3 became
the standard low-altitude flight inspection aircraft. In early flight inspection
service, a crew of one usually operated the Beech 18, and stories are told of
the lone pilot having to start flight inspection recorders with a broomstick as
he positioned the aircraft. Later operations apparently did utilize an airborne
electronic technician to run the flight inspection panel.
- Scott A. Thompson, Flight Check,
The History of Flight Inspection
(U.S. Department of Transportation,
Federal Aviation Administration 2002)
- FAA Aircraft History Project,
FAA Aircraft Resource
The History of Flight Inspection in the United States
Flight inspection has long been a vital part of providing a safe airspace system.
The concept is almost as old as the airway system itself. Flight inspection in
the U.S. began in function, if not yet in form, with the development of an
airway system in the late 1910’s and early 1920’s. The first U.S. flight
inspectors flew surplus open-cockpit biplanes, watching over a steadily growing
airway system predicated on airway light beacons to provide navigational
guidance. The advent of radio navigation brought an increased importance to the
flight inspector, as his was the only platform that could evaluate the radio
transmitters from where they were used: in the air. With the development of the
Instrument Landing System (ILS) and the Very High Frequency Omni-Directional
Range (VOR), flight inspection became the essential element in guaranteeing the
safety of the system. Flight inspection developed through various government
agencies charged with air safety: the Aeronautics Branch, Bureau of Air Commerce,
the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA), the Federal Aviation Agency and
lastly, the current Federal Aviation Administration FAA.
Today, FAA flight inspection routinely inspects thousands of navaids and
instrument procedures, including ILS, MLS, VOR, DME, TACAN, GPS, NDB, various
radars, and airport lighting. Continued advancements in avionics with Flight
Management Systems (FMS) combined with GPS positioning and other, new high-tech
possibilities for aerospace navigational and landing aids suggest an increasing
role for flight inspection in the future. Despite the relentless march of
technology, there remains the same need for an airborne evaluation of aviation
navigation aids and procedures as was established by the original air mail
pilots over seventy-five years ago.
In the mid-1990’s, the FAA flight inspection fleet was supplemented by the
purchase of a number of new Lear 60’s and Challenger 601’s, bringing the total
FAA flight inspection fleet today to seven Beech 65-C-90/F90, three Beech 200,
eighteen Beech BE-300F’s, three British Aerospace BAe-125-800’s, six Bombardier
Lear 60’s, and three Bombardier Challenger 601’s, each equipped with an updated
AFIS system utilizing GPS-positioning. Also 2 Convair CV-580 and one Boeing
727-25C, presently the biggest bird of the FAA, belongs to the actuall fleet. In
September 2005, the FAA added a Bombardier 5000 Global 5000 business jet to its
fleet of flying laboratories to replace the Center’s obsolete 35-year old Boeing
1926-1933 Aeronautics Branch
-of the Department of Commerce
1933-1938 Bureau of Air Commerce
-also under the Department of Commerce
1938-1940 Civil Aeronautics Authority
1940-1958 Civil Aeronautics Administration
-under the Department of Commerce
1959-1967 Federal Aviation Agency
1967 through today Federal Aviation Administration (current FAA)
-under the Department of Transportation
For further information have a look at:
About FAA Topics - History
The History of Flight Inspection in the United States of America
by Scott Thompson Sacramento Flight Inspection Office
Always happy landings!
Virtual Birds Factory, May 2007
Hans U. Hermann, virtual.birds==gmx.de